Including a gift in your will or trust, known as a charitable bequest, is a meaningful way to support the University of Minnesota. Gifts of any size benefit our students, faculty, and programs and help sustain and strengthen the University for many years to come.
You can make a gift by including the University of Minnesota Foundation as a beneficiary in your will or revocable trust. You can choose to give the University a specific dollar amount, specific property, or a percentage of what remains after you’ve provided for your loved ones.
As with any gift to the University, you may direct your gift to a specific campus, college, or program.
- Control: You are able to make a generous gift while maintaining control of your assets during your life.
- Flexibility: You can change your plans at any time.
- Estate tax reduction: Gifts to the University are not subject to estate tax.
Sample gift language
To include a gift for the University of Minnesota in your will or trust, we suggest using the following language: “I give [the sum, percentage, or description of property] to the University of Minnesota Foundation, Minneapolis, Minnesota, to be used for the benefit of [the college, campus, or program] or [according to my written instructions on file with the foundation].”
Name: University of Minnesota Foundation
Address: 200 Oak St. SE, Suite 500, Minneapolis, MN 55455
UMF Federal Tax ID number: 41-6042488
The Planned Giving staff at the foundation can work with you and your attorney to customize this gift language to ensure that it accurately reflects your wishes and that the University will be able to use your gift as intended. The University’s team of development professionals can help you designate your gift in a way that's most meaningful to you. If you prefer, your gift can be unrestricted, which means it will be used for the greatest need at the time it is received.
Sharing your gift with the U
If you’ve already included a gift to the University of Minnesota in your will or trust, thank you! We encourage you to tell us about your gift by completing our Estate gift form. This document does not create a binding commitment. Any information you provide about your gift will be kept confidential.
By sharing your gift, you ensure that the foundation understands how you’d like your gift to be used. Your gift will also be included in Driven: The University of Minnesota Campaign.
All donors who make estate or other planned gifts to the University are welcomed into the President’s Club Heritage Society, a community of forward-thinking donors who have chosen to invest in our University’s future and create a lasting legacy of support for students, faculty, research, and programs. You can share your gift with us and remain anonymous if you choose.
Information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For information on how any gift may affect your tax situation, please consult with your own professional advisor.
- A scholarship established with an estate gift helps a U of M Medical School student pursue his dream of someday developing life-saving cancer treatments.
- By establishing a scholarship with current gifts and a gift in her will, a University alumna in Albuquerque supports a cause close to her heart: helping students who are homeless.
- When it came time to make his estate plans, Chuck Stoddard's top priorities were supporting the U and honoring his family.
- Brian Gerhardson's estate gift for Carlson School students supports the U of M's $4 billion Driven fundraising campaign.