Community partner fundraising events FAQ

Expand all

What is a community partner fundraising event?

A community partner fundraising event (CPFE) is an event hosted by an individual or organization with proceeds benefiting a cause at the U of M.

Why support the University of Minnesota?

At the U of M we are working together to solve the world's biggest challenges. In doing so, the University is building and sustaining excellence among students and faculty, and fueling discovery in important areas on all U campuses. Your CPFE can help support many crucial University needs, from student scholarships to breakthrough research to life-changing medical care.

Will each of my event participants get a receipt?

What UMF can receipt

UMF is able to provide tax-deductible receipts only for outright donations directly to UMF—monetary donations not related to receiving something in return. Outright donations collected during the event and made payable to the University of Minnesota Foundation are fully tax-deductible. Examples of non-tax-deductible payments include, but are not limited to, event registrations, raffle tickets, food, beverages, auction items, prizes, and gifts. If any of the above activities are included in your event, the event organizer should:

1. Collect all payments (“revenue”) received during event.

2. Use event revenue to pay direct event expenses, such as venue rental, food, and beverage.

3. Send one check to UMF for the net proceeds from the event (net proceeds = amount remaining after all direct event expenses have been paid).

Receipt options

For event net proceeds submitted in one check, UMF will provide one gift receipt. Outright donations made payable directly to the University of Minnesota Foundation will receive individual receipts directed to the check issuer.

Can I use the University of Minnesota logo on my event materials?

We encourage groups fundraising for the U of M to highlight the U as a beneficiary. However, community partner events are not permitted to use the U of M logo without prior permission from UMF or University Relations.To seek permission, event organizers must submit an event proposal form, agreeing to all UMF policies, considerations, and agreements. Organizers of events that have been approved to use the logo will receive written communication. For more on U of M brand policy, visit

Does the UMF tax-exempt status apply to my event?

Because UMF is not hosting this event, you will not be able to use UMF’s 501(c)(3) charitable classification, federal tax ID number, or state of Minnesota sales tax exempt certificate.

Does UMF provide insurance for my event?

CPFE organizers are responsible for obtaining all necessary permits and licenses and ensuring compliance with all applicable city, county, state, and federal regulations.

Can UMF provide online registration for our fundraiser?

No. CPFE organizers are responsible for providing and managing event registration. Please note that the UMF online giving system and the UMF crowdfunding platform cannot be used as event registration.

Can UMF process credit card or debit card transactions for our fundraiser?

Organizers are responsible for all event expenses. UMF cannot process expenses or credit/debit card transactions for your event. If event expenses exceed event revenues, neither UMF, nor its affiliates, nor the University of Minnesota, will be held liable to pay these expenses.

Can UMF assist our fundraiser with the payment of event expenses?

CPFE organizers are responsible for the payment of event expenses.

Can UMF provide items for our fundraiser auction?

CPFE organizers are responsible for organizing the auction.

Will the University provide assistance with event promotion?

UMF may promote an approved CPFE through UMF social media platforms.

How should event proceeds be submitted to UMF?

Please send the net proceeds check and outright donation checks, made payable to the University of Minnesota Foundation, to this address within 30 days of your event:

University of Minnesota Foundation
P.O. Box 860266
Minneapolis, MN 55486-0266